Detroit’s story has encapsulated the iconic narrative of America over the last century— the Great Migration of African Americans escaping Jim Crow; the rise of manufacturing and the middle class; the love affair with automobiles; the flowering of the American dream; and now . . . the collapse of the economy and the fading American mythos. With its vivid, painterly palette and haunting score, DETROPIA sculpts a dreamlike collage of a grand city teetering on the brink of dissolution. These soulful pragmatists and stalwart philosophers strive to make ends meet and make sense of it all, refusing to abandon hope or resistance. Their grit and pluck embody the spirit of the Motor City as it struggles to survive postindustrial America and begins to envision a radically different future.
For comments and inquiries, email populyst[dot]net[at]gmail[dot]com
Copyright © 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017 populyst.net. All Rights Reserved.
You may use any part of the text, provided that you link back to this site. We reserve the right to edit any article at any time after initial publication.
The author(s) may be invested long or short in any security discussed on this site.
Discussions of individual securities are not recommendations to buy, sell or trade these securities. The reader is solely responsible for any loss he may incur in such trading.
- India Update: Demonetization Five Weeks On, with Ravi Srinivasan, 15 December 2016
- On White Collar Prosecutions, with Jesse Eisinger, 28 September 2016
- How Demographics Explain the World, 14 July 2016 (an Aaron Renn podcast)
- Learning from Medellín with Alejandro Echeverri, 28 June 2016
- Talking about Brexit with Andrew Stuttaford, 17 June 2016
- Manhattan Real Estate: A Conversation with Lisa Larson, 9 Apr 2015
- The Case for Agricultural ETFs: A Conversation with Sal Gilbertie, 18 Feb 2015
Top Posts & Pages
- To Save or Ruin Twitter
- Trump Country: Where the Immigrants Aren’t
- Passive Funds Are Just Free-Riding Active Funds
- The Futility of Annual Top 10 Predictions
- Update on India’s Demonetization, with Ravi Srinivasan
- The Mainstream Media Will Rise Again
- India’s Disruptive Gamble
- Should Children Vote?
- Job Creation Under the Next President
- The US Census Digs Deeper
- On White Collar Prosecutions, with Jesse Eisinger
- New York, Two States of Mind
- The Bridge from Laissez-Faire to Socialism
- 2016 populyst Index™ First Quartile Demographic Scores
- Sweden Tops populyst Index™ Ranking
- America Without Immigration 2015-50
- So You Want a Revolution
- Talking about populyst and the populyst Index
- Learning from Medellín with Alejandro Echeverri
- Talking About Brexit with Andrew Stuttaford
Follow me on TwitterMy Tweets